Back to the Drawing Board

“I have not failed.  I’ve just found 10,000 ways it won’t work” – Thomas A. Edison

Happy Monday readers!  I just got back from a 4-day getaway to Orlando, FL with my family.  My boyfriend signed up for an Outlaw training camp so we decided to make a weekend out of it and take my daughter to some of the parks.  We had a wonderful time and it was nice to relax by the pool.

Here’s something I learned during my vacation:  eating clean is nearly impossible if you don’t take the time to plan ahead.  I made some terrible food choices this weekend and I’m still paying for them.  So as a result I’m back on the 21-Day Sugar Detox because my body needs it.  I successfully completed the “21DSD” a month ago and felt amazing afterwards.  I want that feeling again because right now I feel like crap.  I’m not talking about that guilty feeling you get after indulging in sugary treats or carb-loaded meals, I’m talking about the physically ill kind.  I’m looking forward to this detox because it’ll be easier this time since I know what to expect and because I’ve been eating clean (except this weekend) since I ended the detox.

With that said, my fail hiccup is your gain.  Here are some tips to stay on track while on vacation (basically everything I should have done):

1.  DON’T TRAVEL ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.  If you’re going on a road trip or a long plane ride, make sure you eat a good meal before you leave.  A clean healthy meal will get you on the right track for the day.  Don’t get on the road on an empty stomach because you’ll end up making some pretty bad choices along the way (damn you Cracker Barrel and your amazing biscuits!)

2.  PACK SNACKS.  If you’re like me, you hate being in the car a long time.  I’m the worst co-pilot because there’s an 80% chance I’ll fall asleep.  That other 20% is occupied by hunger.  So the best thing is to have some pre-packaged snacks in your bag.  Trail mix, lara bars, fruits, veggies, and jerky are all great quick choices.

3.  RESEARCH.   Scope out the surrounding restaurants (a quick Google search might also bring up their menu!)  This was a major mistake I made.  Every night we did the ol’ “where should we eat” and would end up at a not-so-healthy restaurant just because it was the only thing still open.  It also didn’t help that I was usually starving by dinner time (snacks would have helped avoid this issue.)  When I’m starving my stomach takes control of my brain like a horny teenager and I make terrible choices!  I know that I should never let myself get to the point of starvation because it’ll be all downhill from there.

4.  HYDRATE.  Stay hydrated!  It’s really hot in Orlando.  It’s also really hot in June.  So those two things combined can make for a very dehydrated traveler.  I must have drank 20 bottles of water this weekend.  Also, I read here that hunger can easily be traced back to dehydration.  So keeping hydrated will also help keep you out of the pantry.

5.  SHOPPING.  No, I’m not encouraging you to hit the Premium Outlets (which I didn’t do on this trip, boo.)  If it’s a long trip (whether business or pleasure) I suggest taking the time to visit some local markets (even farmers markets!) and keeping some goodies in your hotel room.

So there you have it…all the things I should have done and regret not doing.  Hey, at least I’m honest!  Like I’ve said before, I’m not an expert at this “clean eating” stuff and I’m still working on making this a lifestyle.

Confession: I read too many food blogs.

Picture this:  Annoying alarm clock goes off.  I wake up.  Grab my phone and go through my bookmarks of all the bloggers I follow.  I do this every morning.  Yes, every single morning (even weekends.)  I do this just to see if they posted anything new in the 6-8 hours I was asleep.  Then I go through Instagram pics to see if the same bloggers (and some friends) posted anything too.  I’m obsessed.  Addicted even.  It’s a bad habit…or is it?

It’s not and here’s why:  Bloggers are inspiring!  Bloggers are people just like you trying to make a difference in their own lives and those around them.  Reading another person’s thoughts can be motivating.  I get 90% of my meal inspirations from bloggers I follow (and Pinterest!)  Sure, some of them ramble (like myself right now) and write about random unrelated things, but most of the time they stick to the plot.  People will write about almost anything you can think of.  You have an obsession with vinyl figures of some sort?  I’m sure there’s a blog out there for you.  You want to learn more about breeding hamsters?  I’m pretty certain someone is blogging about that as we speak right now.

So I challenge YOU, fellow blog reader, to find some blogs that will inspire you.  Go.  Then report back 🙂